crete-card.com - Panoramas from all over Crete

Frangocastello - The Castle

The big Venetian castle originates from 1371 and is therefore one of the oldest Venetian sites of Crete.

It was originally called Agios Nikitas, after a nearby church but was then renamed by the Cretans in Castle of the Franks.

Today only the outside walls of it remain existent, each with a watchtower on the corner.